Laboratory Services (Pathology)
High-quality services and advanced technology
At Highlands Regional, our state-of-the-art testing, integrated medical records, and excellent service are a key part of our comprehensive care. Our laboratory professionals, under the direct supervision of a physician medical director, Dr. George Leidel, are well equipped to manage everything from routine diagnostic tests and screenings to providing valuable information for doctors to develop care plans for complex disease.
Highlands Regional Medical Center's Laboratory Department is the only lab in a three county area to have CAP and AABB certifications.
Highlands Regional’s laboratories are dedicated to high-quality service and patient-centered care. Our laboratories provide everything from blood bank services to a wide range of testing capabilities, including:
- Clinical chemistry
- Hematology and immunohematology
- Immunology, immunochemistry and serology
- Microbiology and virology
We also offer advanced pathology services including:
- Cytology and cytopathology – The study of individual cell abnormalities, often used to diagnose cancer.
- Cytogenetics – Blood or bone marrow cell studies to examine chromosomal changes.
- Histology – The study of tissue under a microscope.
- Molecular diagnostics – DNA/RNA analysis studies.
- Surgical pathology – The study of tissues removed during a biopsy to help diagnose disease and determine treatment.